BRANDT is seeking an Agronomic Field Research & Services Intern to participate in a summer internship based out of Wilmington, OH. The internship is designed to give broad based exposure on the day-to-day activities of a fertilizer industry Technical Agronomist and Territory Sales Manager. The Agronomic Field Research & Services Summer Intern will be based in Wilmington, Ohio and will support the BRANDT Discovery and Innovation LLC (D&I) Team. Sharing experiences across the D&I Research and Sales groups allows interns to see many aspects of BRANDT field research and sales. Intern positions provide an excellent experience that can be applied to full time positions in the industry, or in preparation for additional graduate level training in plant sciences.
Position duration is approximately May to August 2024.
Responsibilities – What You'll Do:
- This position will report to the Technical Agronomist located in Wilmington, Ohio and will require extensive in Ohio and out-of-state travel.
- Occasional overnight travel will be expected to other locations as part of data collection and services responsibilities.
- Internship will involve different and multiple tasks daily providing an overview of the agronomic field research, sales, Dealer and grower services BRANDT provides.
- Assist in various field plot research functions including assisting with planning, laying out, planting, and maintaining agronomic & specialty crop nutrition field research trials; soil & plant tissue sampling; field data collection; field data entry; scouting, walking and collecting on-farm field observational data; writing and publishing scouting/field reports.
- Collecting digital images of general farm and field trial research activity using personal camera or cell phone.
- Assisting Technical Agronomist and Territory Sales Manager with conducting and co-teaching at field days; representing BRANDT at partner University and Dealer field days and educational events; and frequently posting activity updates on social media accounts.
- The internship will provide the student with hands-on experiences in the areas of agriculture including field research, sales support, teaching and grower education.
- The Agronomic Field Research & Services Summer Intern will be based in Wilmington, Ohio and report to the area Technical Agronomist and work closely with the Territory Sales Manager in the region. This position may take direction and guidance from other team members throughout the internship.
- Primary locations covered by the intern will be OH and KY but also may assist with field research trials, field days, and other agronomic events in IN, MI, PA, NY, VT, ME, RI, NH, WV, and TN.
- Conduct plant tissue sampling for BRANDT research and for customers as needed.
- Assist with planting, data collection, and maintenance of BRANDT agronomic University and on-farm field research and observation trials.
- Help place signs around the BRANDT trade area in plots or road frontage.
- Assist with setting up, staffing displays, and engaging with customers and others at agronomy field days and customer events.
- Possibly spend at least 1 weekend during the summer with the BRANDT marketing team assisting at a NASCAR race event dependent on ticket availability.
- Assist with technical agronomy projects.
- Document field scouting issues in crop monitoring tools to share with customers.
- Report via on-line app field observations and upload digital images to BRANDT marketing app. for social media content.
- Work on a special field research project of your choice over the summer, can be on your own farm, analyze data, and present findings to the nationwide D & I team at the end of the internship, prepare findings in report form to be published in the annual BRANDT trial summary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Excellent Communication/Writing Skills
Ability to multitask
Attention to Detail
Proficiency in Excel and Word
Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) skills
Not applicable to this position.
This position will primarily be out in the field work with some indoor office work necessary. With the diversity of work in Agronomic Services, this individual will need the ability to dress accordingly.
Classification/Expected Hours of Employment
This position is an internship and is non-exempt, it will follow federal and all applicable state or local laws. Days and hours of work are generally 8:00am to 5:00pm, with some extended and weekend hours needed as seasonal and job duties demands may vary.
This position will require almost daily travel using a personal vehicle; mileage will be reimbursed at the federal mileage reimbursement rate. Overnight and meal travel expenses will be reimbursed and will require receipts.
Qualifications – What You’ll Bring: Required Education and Experience
- Must be highly motivated and have an outstanding work ethic.
- Well suited for work in both team-orientated and mostly independent situations.
- Great in-person, one-on-one, telephone and on-line (Teams, Zoom, etc.) communication skills.
- Working towards a 4 year degree in agronomy or agriculture related field.
- Agricultural background beneficial.
- A fast learner, with a high aptitude for precision and accuracy.
- Intermediate computer and software skills required.
- Valid driver’s license and clean drivers record.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors.
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position and the duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
Team BRANDT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment will receive consideration without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status or protected veteran status.