The Assistant Research Farm Manager will provide agronomic support, education, and be astute in foundational and cutting edge agricultural technologies. This position will be at BRANDT’s 300- acre research farm in Pleasant Plains, IL. This position will assist with planning of plots and crop locations, supervise farm operations, secure supplies and maintain plot records. The Assistant Research Farm Manager will plan, conduct, and execute agronomic field trials and evaluate new technologies supported by BRANDT. This position must thrive in a team environment.
The Assistant Research Farm Manager will report to the Technical Agronomy Manager of BRANDT Discovery and Innovation and work closely with BRANDT Agronomic Services, BRANDT Specialty Formulations and BRANDT Dealer Support.
- Provide market leadership on seeds, traits, chemistry, nutrition, and new public and private agronomy research.
- Coordinate and execute replicated on farm trials for seed, fertilizer, crop protection, foliar nutrition, and next level agricultural technology.
- Perform field operations: including but not limited to land prep, planting, spraying, crop care, harvesting and other as needed.
- Communicate in-season findings to BRANDT Agronomic Services, BRANDT Specialty Formulations and BRANDT Dealer Support to improve information flow and knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrate understanding of corn and soybean crop physiology, agronomy, nutrient management, pests, soil management practices, crop protection, seed technologies, and customers within the US corn-belt is essential.
- Assist with equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Meet with customers and Brandt Agronomist to tour field trials and present results.
- Assist with coordination and preparation of field day events.
- Assist in preparing data for publications.
- Produce educational bulletins and video content with the assistance from the Marketing Team.
- Manage Summer Interns that will assist in maintaining research farm and data collection
- Teamwork/Collaboration Skills
- Customer Focus
- Independent Self-Starter
- Agricultural Expertise
- Proficiency in Excel and Word
Not applicable to this position.
The Assistant Research Farm Manager will be working at our Research Farm in Pleasant Plains, IL. This position may be working in the field or may be required to attend professional meetings.
Classification/Expected Hours of Employment
This position is a full time position and is exempt from minimum wage and overtime pay requirements under federal and all applicable state or local laws. Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday but may be based on seasonal needs.
This position requires minimal travel, may need to travel to the Corporate Office for meetings or BRANDT Retail locations in the area.
Required Education and Experience
- S. or Ph.D. in soils, agronomy, or related field is preferred or a BS with 5+ years of experience.
- Record of designing and conducting agricultural soils research and maintain precise records of task performed.
- Minimum 2 - 5 years of job experience required.
- Intermediate computer and software skills required.
- Experience managing production of various field on a commercial and/or research basis.
- Experience in heavy equipment operation.
- Must have a valid Commercial Driver's License and a pesticide applicators license, or the ability to obtain within 6 months of employment start
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position and the duties and responsibilities may change
Team BRANDT, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for employment will receive consideration without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, citizenship status or protected veteran status.